Enhanced carbon management – a step change towards… | Perfect Circle

Enhanced carbon management – a step change towards greater efficiencies and environmental responsibility

18 . 01 . 18
PC banner

By Caroline Toplis, Nottingham

The current state of play

Infrastructure is associated with over half of all UK carbon emissions, 30% of which is directly attributed to the construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructure assets, and the remaining 70% attributed to the users of infrastructure.

Furthermore, since 2000, the real cost of resources has risen by 150% due to increased demand, declining reserves and increased cost extraction and processing costs. The UK’s infrastructure sector recognises the immediate need to reduce the carbon footprint associated with construction, operation and maintenance, and the cost, resource and sustainability benefits that taking action will deliver. Using fewer and/or alternative materials with lower manufacturing and transport related emissions, higher recycled content and durability will reduce the carbon footprint of projects, whilst helping the sector become resilient to resource price increases and resource scarcity.

The publication of ‘PAS 2080: Carbon Management in Infrastructure’ reinforces the importance of developing a mechanism for managing and reducing whole-life carbon impacts of infrastructure, which will impact on future local authority strategic planning decisions. The Government’s Construction 2025 strategy and the Infrastructure Carbon Review further stress the importance of taking action now.

Local authority highway departments need to act now to maximise the benefits of reducing the carbon impact of their highway design, construction, maintenance and operational activities by identifying and implementing effective and realistic processes, procedures and techniques.

Four ways for effective carbon reduction

Carbon management and reduction can be carried out at any stage of a project. However, the earlier carbon is considered, the greater the opportunity for significant carbon reduction initiatives to be identified and implemented. Carbon reduction can be achieved through:

All parties involved in infrastructure design, planning, construction, operation and maintenance have a role to play in realising the benefit of low carbon solutions, with individuals at the centre of infrastructure planning, design, programme/asset management and development having the greatest opportunity to drive change forward.

Achieving carbon reductions in infrastructure often depends on robust leadership, effective governance and integration of key carbon management process components into existing delivery processes. Ways in which carbon can be better managed in highways projects include:

In Procurement and Design:

In Construction, Maintenance and Operation:

A step change towards a low-carbon future

Taking action to reduce the carbon impact of highway construction, maintenance and operational activities can lead to a number of multiple-benefits for local authorities, which include:

Reduced cost, through resource efficiency and the use of alternative materials influencing the wider supply chain methods of practice.

As the uptake of PAS 2080 increases, and carbon reduction across infrastructure projects moves to becoming a mandatory legislative requirement in the UK, there is an increasing need for the highway sector to take a consistent approach to reducing the capital and whole-life carbon impacts of highway activities. Ultimately, the effective and sustainable management of highways assets can also contribute to the global challenge of tackling climate change.

Related stories

Close

Get more from Perfect Circle

Join our mailing list to get all the latest industry news.

Please consent above

Thank you for joining our newsletter.

Perfect Circle and its delivery Partners are closely monitoring the situation with the Coronavirus outbreak and we are following the Government’s advice to ensure that we align our response and mitigation measures in line with these guidelines and that of other relevant bodies.

We want to assure our clients, local communities, employees and supply chain partners that we have put contingency plans and measures in place to ensure high levels of business resilience to allow us to maintain seamless continuity of our services to minimise service disruption whilst ensuring the health and well-being of all.